Saturday, April 4, 2009

Filling in with spontaneous (not so much) brilliancy!

Bad experiment gone wrong. I WAS trying to challenge myself though, by attempting to work out total shredded material, in mediums that I couldn't shade with (only shape and form) -I.E Fineliner

Iris Van Herpen s/s09

Oh .......tollywash.... I don't have the picture anymore.

*pause*


ummmm. oh well. here's a link to a post with the same collection, you'll get the drift.. It makes Balmain look tame.
http://tobaccoandleather.blogspot.com/2009/04/iris-van-herpen.html



Another one. This is photographing really badly because the tones are so light, but whatevs. (oh I sound so mature. Don't I just?) In this, I tried to do the whole skin/lips using just yellow and purple, and only loose outlining, to contrast with the really graphic superhero-type makeup. (ooh wow, complementary colours...subconscious colour theory?) They make up the body of the picture, except some hints of blue and wisps of brown.

User Image
User Image
And, once again proving I cannot hold a thing straight:
User Image

Dammit, why am I doing this when I should be painting venice? ART EXAM SKETCHBOOK NEEDS TO BE DONE AND YOU ARE PLAYING AROUNG WITH ILLUSTRATIONS AND DOODLES AND FINELINER.


Well, if you aren't aware from following that link up there, Iris Van Herpen is insanely cool. A dutch designer, her lookbook, in between fall/winter and spring and summer, is interspersed with such jollies as "Mummification" and "Chemical Crows" with highy conceptual photography. Excellent. (I have a fondness for cross-the-media. Which is why I will be forcibly making Hedi Slimane Godfather to my children. If I don't have children, then it'll be the Debut collection/painting series/illustrations to novelwitty novel//photcopying machine/coffee making machine (hey, got to think small occasionally too.) At any rate, back to Iris. Graduating from Arnhem Art academy in the Netherlands, she hit the blogosphere by producing such innovative silhouettes as, well, this...
http://fashionindie.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/picture-22.png

no one will soon forget her collections, with their textured, sculpted (Built? They are on architectural proportions), woven, shredded and whatnot pieces, and the dramatic hair and makeup (I'm seriously supressing the urge to all out Soulja boy. Superman! Camoflage! it's like the sexy marines crossed with the fantastic 4!). Made from materials like leather, iron, brass, chains and ‘hair’ (hair? Seriously? Oh well, I suppose that's what baby alpaca is....and cashmere), the clothing, though often highly impractical (see-standard sizes in doorframes) can also be suprisingly wearable. See below, rather than above.


http://fashionindie.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/picture-42.png
Pictures via fashionIndie

...and with that, I leave you. as there is no good reason for me to be awake.

1 comment:

Cari said...

LOL I wish I had your talent! http://isnotfashion.blogspot.com